Sunday, May 13, 2007

Mother's Day

It's mother's day today and I'm trying to stay afloat. I lost my mom on September 20- so this is one of the days the bereavement groups prepared me for. I think the anticipation was worse for me- all the adds, commercials, ect. But now the day is here and thankfully I don't have to work. It looks like the weather will hold out and I can go for a hike to reflect. She was an amazing woman, and most definately my number one hero. In many ways I'm following her footsteps. She was a midwestern girl and moved to Southern California right after nursing school and worked as an ER nurse in LA- Oh the stories she told! She met my dad there and had me. Unfortunately they weren't meant to be and she moved back to her family in Indiana- where I was raised. Now I live back in California and I'm pursuing a nursing career! She is with me all the time. I look at photos of me aand I see her smile in mine, her hands in mine. Her friends say "Wow, you are just like your mother." I just hope so- she was such a strong, independant, shining soul. Her greatest skill was listening and then knowing exactly what to say- it wasn't much but it always seemed dead on. Her funeral was attended by MANY of her patients families (she was a hospice nurse) who had nothing but wonderful stories of her. I am so honored to of had her as my mom, it's not fair at all that I lost her at the early age of 62- but she sure left her mark. I love you mom.

1 comment:

Jeri said...

What a beautiful tribute to your mom. I think mother's day is a day to remember and celebrate mothers everyone, and not only the ones that are still with us!