Monday, July 9, 2007

My utter thanks and appreciation



It's been quite the week! After the LCKC show last weekend, perhaps due to stress, I caught the stomach flu on Tuesday- which was unfortunate for many reasons but one in particular was that my best friend whom I've known since I was 9 was flying in with her 3 1/2 year old that day. I remained sick throughout the week and by Friday knew that I had to make some quick decisions about making it up to Bandon. I decided to go to the walk-in clinic and see if that could help make my mind up. The P.A. told me that something was definately going around in the community and she thought perhaps it was a salmonella related bug- yuck!! She herself had caught it and she was out for 7 days! She perscribed me Lomotil to help slow things down and I made the decision to skip out on the camping for Friday night and just get a room in Coos Bay. This ended up being a good decision since I was up at 2:30am sick once again. The next morning I popped a lomotil and drove to the dog show. It was gorgeous out and WINDY!! By the time I got to the show I realized that not only does lomotil slow things down in the GI tract but it slows things down cognitively too- I basically was high as a kite off antidiarrheals! But the good thing was it was my cure and I was able to camp with the crew on Saturday night, though being cautious about what I ate I did enjoy the lovely albacore Tom picked up at the docks and some Chardonney. My favorite part was taking 11 cardigans and 1 bulldog for our after dinner walk- damn I wish I would of snapped some pictures of that! Ash was in heaven as well- he played hard with Mirhhi and then the next day my puppy became a teenager as he repeatedly tried to mount Celie. Celie finally learned how to tell him "No!" good girl Celie.

The next day was alittle better since I actually slept better and I was on the mend. Louise and Carolyn gave me some wave controlling pointers on Ash and it was off again to the show. Ash did take WD that day and I really feel like I owe that ribbon to Carolyn. Thank you Carolyn for "mentoring" me especially on a dog that is unrelated to your lines. There's a part of me that wishes I had waited for a pup from a litter of yours or from someone in the group, even though Ash is turning out to do well in the show ring- so thanks for adopting us. I like how Tom put it once- Ash is a rescue dog since he came from Florida!
AND I know eventually I'd like a show female so I'll be pestering you when that time comes around, and by then I'll be less of an amatuer!

So now we are back home and guess who has the stomach flu? Poor, poor Colin- I know exactly what he's going through. My girlfriend and her daughter are also still here but we've been sending them off with other friends so that they don't catch it. We have plans to go out on a houseboat next weekend on Trinity Lake and we need everyone to be well! Ash will be taking a small break from the shows until August. I definately want to go to the Lake County Kennel club show the third weekend of August and then there's the Umpqua show which is the same weekend as the Richmond show and I can't decide which one we should go to. Any suggestions? I heard the Richmond show is breeder judges but what does that mean really?

I didn't take many pictures of the Bandon weekend- I just had too much going on, but I got this cute one of Ash and Mirhhi and one of the coastline- Ahh, it was worth it all.

5 comments:

Jeri said...

Ah, Carolyn and Tom keep talking to me despite the fact that I don't even have a dog from them anymore. ;-) And despite the fact that I live in Alabama. They'll just slowly lure you over to the dark side with cute puppies.

Congrats on Ash's win! I'm sorry you were so sick though. :(

Kim said...

Ash says, "Save me Mom!".

Traci said...

Congrats again on your WD ! :) He'll finish before you know it!! I'm glad you had fun at Bandon, despite your tummy :( It's one of my favorites!!!

Kim said...

A better caption...

"MOM! She TOUCHED me!"

Kady Cannon said...

While I certainly don't mind having beautiful dogs and don't mind winning every once-in-a-while, I'm not in a "breed and sell the most puppies" competition. I think others have already lapped me several times on that track anyway.

It's about the dogs, and about creating the soundest and best representatives of the breed that we can.

I get more enjoyment out of finding people who have a true interest in learning and who care. It doesn't matter who bred the puppy. Well ok, there could be a few exceptions to that rule.