Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Furry Ears



And no I'm not talking about bunny ears, Guppy :)

When I was over at a friend's house for ring practice last week, Steve's wife looked at Ash and said that I should start trimming in his ears! Now I know Ash has a plush coat, but he certainly isn't a fluff. I don't know why I should trim his ears if he doesn't resemble a fluff in any other way. She said something about perhaps he has a fluff gene in him and that the judges would recognize that by seeing his ears. So without seeing him up close I'm attching some clickable pics and perhaps I can get your opinions. And if I do need to trim in there, what scissors are recommended? I think his are alittle small compared to alot of other cardis I've seen, so perhaps trimming that hair back would make his ears seem bigger?

In other news, I guess I really am hooked into dog shows, it's been almost a month since Grass Valley and I think I'm having withdrawl! Dreaming about them, constantly checking Info dog for win results and upcoming shows. I think we will enter in the Sacramento/ Dixon show that's in late October. The weather should be nice then and it looks like there's been a good show of cardigan's in the past. Did you go last year Carolyn? How was it?

Well yesterday I had my first exam and I did fairly well on it, and I passed my math exam that I had to pass with 95% or better in order to continue on the program- so I can relax about that now.
Tomarrow is the one-year anniversary of my mom's death. I plan on taking a nice long walk on the beach with my furkids. God, I miss her. But I know she's still with me in many subtle ways.

9 comments:

Baledwr said...

Actually dogs with smaller ears I do use the thinning shears to neaten up the inside. He's got a normal amount of hair inside - nothing to do with fluff gene. In fact you can't tell if a dog carries fluff from amount of coat :)

CardiLover said...

He has about the same amount of hair in his ears that Ethan has. Thing is, Savannah's doesn't get much longer than that in her ears, either...it's around them that I think is a bigger issue.

Kady Cannon said...

What Mandy said.

Kacy carries fluff, for an example.

I probably would neaten it up with some thinning shears. Just to take the curly part off. Some hair inside the ear is normal.

Fluffs get long soft hair on the back of the ears and under the ears, not necessarily *in* the ears.

Fox lady said...

I knew you gals would know. Thanks again for the excellent advice. Time to give 3-C's a call for some shears. Shopping!

Jennifer said...

Oh poo! You don't need to trim his ears! Fluffs get a fringe on their ears that looks like a shorter version of a Papillon fringe, nothing like what your sweet boy has. And I know what you mean about going into show detox; I didn't show much last year because of health problems, and haven't shown much this year either. But...drum roll...I'm going to enter Mikey in his first agility trial in October!!!

Fox lady said...

Yea Cardimom! When and where? Keep us posted!

Traci said...

Mandy had me trim inside Sedona's ears at Nationals and I had never given consideration to it... I'm glad I did, because she looked a lot better for it. Sometimes it's the subtle differences that bring together the whole package :) Listen to the great and wise Mandy... despite her young age, she knows way more than most ;-)

Traci said...

and in case I forget to post tomorrow, my thoughts are with you on getting through tomorrow (the 1 year anniversary).. while I haven't lost a parent, I did lose my sister (this November will be 9 years). My thoughts will be with you Anne... hug the fur kids as often as possible... it'll help you get through it. *HUG*

Traci said...

You alive woman?!