Friday, May 16, 2008

School is done!!!!!!



Whew, made it through my finals and ultimately the RN program!! It's taken me a few days to recuperate from it all and today may be no exception. The weather here has been an anomaly with record highs of 80 degrees in Eureka and up to 100 in Trinidad. I joke and say I kinda like what global warming is doing to the coast! Maybe all the more reason to buy a home here.. Once I'm a RN and making good cash I figure I could pull it off.
So, one small hurdle to go still with obtaining my nursing license. It's called NCLEX. It's a national exam that costs around $300 and can be quite challening to pass. They ask all these questions where it seems that every answer is correct ( multiple choice answers) and the key is to go with the best correct answer. I need to schedule it for sometime in June and most likely drive about three hours away and stay in a hotel the night before. I have bad test anxiety as it is so I'm not looking forward to it. Not to mention I need to sudy my ass for it as it covers pharmacology, pediatrics, obstretrics and med/surg material. Some of that I haven't looked at in years. I'll do fine though and I can take it more than once if need be.
As far as jobs go I accepted a med/surg position with one of our local hospitals with my start date as July 14'th. They want me to have my RN license before beginning, thus another reason to pass NCLEX the first time around. I'll be doing full time (3 12 hour shifts) and working nights!!!! I'm horrified at this as I'm very in tune with my circadian rhythm but as a new grad I kinda get stuck with the crappy shifts. The good thing is, it is a great place to start as it's a quiet busy verses a crazy busy and I know I have so much to learn still. My challenge will be keeping my dogs on that schedule somehow too. Those days when I'm sleeping they are going to need to entertain themselves. But then I'll have 4 days to play with them.
Speaking of, for those Ash fans- he's doing great. I'm hoping to certify him as a therapy pet in June. I've been through the course he just needs his eval. Though I need to work with him alittle because it might be that he's still alitlle too young for this and i have gone soft while in school on his obedience. Our challenge is greeting the neutral dog as he just wants to play soooooo bad with the strange dog. I'm going to try and put him in a sit position and get him to stay....Wish me luck. Then I'm thinking I'll enter him as a special for my local dog show which is late June- The Lost Coast Kennel Club show. If anyone is going, they can stay at my house!!! I'm pretty sure Kelly will be there with Bryer- but it's just for fun anyway since it's local. Besides Ash is still a measly 32 pounds and his chest hasn't seemed to drop anymore, he has a great prominent breast bone but not much drop.. yet, hopefully there's still time for that to come in. Ok I just wrote a novel and have too much caffiene coursing through my viens. I'm going out now to enjoy another unusually warm coastal day. Here are some of my latest dog pics- Enjoy!

7 comments:

Traci said...

Speaking as someone who went from an 8-5 to a swing 2p-12a, the dogs adjusted FINE and slept when I slept. I had a friend who went from an 8-5 to a midnight schedule, and her dogs adjusted and slept with her as well. Heck, they sleep most the time anyway ;-)
Congrats on your new gig being all lined up!!!! We'll both be starting new jobs at the same time this year!
And as for Ash's chest... don't expect to see it fully drop till he's ~2, depending on lines... Kota looked vastly different between age 1, 2 and 3 (looking at birthday pictures). Be patient :) The chest shall come :)
Congrats again!!!!!!!

Fox lady said...

Thanks Traci, I definately think that I will need to get a dog door and probably de-bark my older girl! LOL! She's become very bad with age with the incessant barking over every little sound.

Kady Cannon said...

Good choice to not visit the Merlin shows. I don't know when I've been so HOT and tired.

Kelly's actually specialing Marian Mizelle's Spirit this summer.

I think that Mandy is planning on the Ferndale shows . . .

Fox lady said...

I decided I better not risk going to Merlin and then having my girlfriend go into labor- though we're still waiting.....
I'll post a message on our show group for an open invite for those heading to Ferndale to stay here if they want- I'd love to see pilot!

Baledwr said...

Yes, we have the Thursday before all the way thru the Bandon show off work so I plan both. (and my MOM is supposed to go there instead of Redmond too!). Of course Hannah is finished, Wally will probably be bald and baby is..um...baby - but I love that area...

Hmmmm, we were going to camp but that's the whole week plan, a house might be ok for the first couple nights, lol...

Kady Cannon said...

Oh, I wasn't planning on Redmond instead of Ferndale. Cool sounds better than heat right this minute. It just depends on the schedule what I can do, noting that Monday is the end of the month and I'm taking off Thursday through the next Monday.

I might could be convinced to take Molly and Digger for fun.

Fox lady said...

You ALL should come. If you want you can even psuedo camp with the motor home in our driveway, we have a fire pit in the back yard with a lazy creek near so it's almost like the real thing, only you can come inside and shower and use the kitchen. We would love to have you even if it's just a night or two. send me an email and I can give directions. All of sudden i'm so excited for LCKC!